30th April, 2019

[UPDATED] Is your car over 30 Years old? Are you an active member of an official car club? Then this is for you.

So you’ve got yourself a beloved classic thats over 30 years old, but she spends most of her time in car storage, doing very limited kilometres year-to-year. Paying full registration certainly does hurt the hip pocket these days – particularly if you are in the 6 cylinder+ world. If the use of your car is primarily limited to travelling to and from car club events, why not consider converting to club registration?


The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) in Queensland defines club registration as:


A concession (or restricted registration) is available if you are registering a classic or vintage car, a street rod or a historic vehicle. This concession is based on the vehicle having a very strict and limited road use which is reflected in the reduced fees and compulsory third party insurance premium.




The ruling applies to ‘Historic Vehicles’ and ‘Hot Rods’


Historic Vehicles: vehicles that are at least 30 years old


Hot Rods: Vehicles modified for safe road use and have a body and frame built before 1949, or, replicas of a vehicle that have a body and frame built before 1949. Left-Hand-Drive cars are also eligible if over 30 years old.


What Do I Need to Apply?

  1. A completed registration concession application form (Click here to download)

  2. Proof of Club Membership Letter – to be on club letterhead, and drafted and signed by a club official, including your name, declaration of valid membership, car make, model, year and VIN/Chassis number. (Can’t find your VIN number? Click here for help)


If for whatever reason DTMR cannot verify the date of manufacture, you will need a dating certificate – click here to find out more.


What Does it Cost?



Speaking from personal experience with putting a 1986 Porsche 911 on club registration, 12 months cost us a total of $221.85, instead the $904.60 we would’ve paid with full 6-cylinder registration. (Figures current as at April 2019). Thats a total saving of $682.75 in annual registration costs!


What Are The Usage Restrictions?


You and anyone driving your special interest vehicle must only use the vehicle for:


1. Participating in rallies or events, including impromptu events organised by an incorporated vehicle club or events sanctioned by the Australia Street Rod Federation (ASRF).

(Note: A rally is a social event where a parade of special interest vehicles travel together for competition or to meet at an agreed location. An impromptu event is an event that has been initiated by a club member, involves one or more vehicles, and is supported by an incorporated vehicle club or the ASRF. Rallies and events (including impromptu events) must be listed in the incorporated club newsletter or on the incorporated club’s website or social media page (or in another manner approved by the club or ASRF, such as the club calendar of events) prior to the event.)


2. Participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2015.


3. Exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes ceremonial purposes (such as weddings, formals, funerals) involving immediate and de facto family members, or as part of a sanctioned incorporated club event, provided this is not done for fee or reward.


4. Direct travel to and from an approved inspection station to get a safety certificate or certificate of inspection before offering the vehicle for sale.


5. Travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction, however, such travel must be reasonable and justifiable by the vehicle operator. ‘Road testing’ is permitted within a 15km radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged or is being repaired. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration, or for general vehicle maintenance and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as an everyday means of transport. A passenger may travel in your vehicle to assist with road testing—only if your vehicle can legally carry passengers.


6. It is recommend by TMR that you carry paperwork that supports your reason for travel – this can include club newsletters or calendar of events. You could also do this electronically by displaying the event calendar on your phone.


porsche 911 air cooled

1980’s Porsche 911s: Examples of Cars Eligable for Club Rego


What Happens If I Get Pulled Over and Don’t Have a Valid Reason for Driving My Car?

Whilst scarce on specifics, TMR states the following if you are caught violating the club registration laws:


“If you use your vehicle outside of the conditions of the Special Interest Vehicle Concession Scheme, you may face a fine or risk having your concession revoked.


You may also risk serious insurance implications if your vehicle is involved in a crash whilst being used contrary to the conditions of this scheme. If there is damage to your vehicle, yourself or others, your compulsory third party insurance and comprehensive insurance may become null and void”


We recommend that before every drive, either have your club event documents on hand, or have the reason why you are driving the car in mind (eg. taking it for mechanical repairs).


What Happens With Number Plates?